Saturday, November 05, 2005

...with 25 days to spare

I've finished my little project. I've reread all 29 of the original Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, and did it between 11.30.04 and 11.05.05, within the 1 year I had set out to do it in. And now #30 and #31 await.

For the two or three of you out there who read this blog, here's the deal: when they reprinted Book 12, Witches Abroad, and I was finally able to buy it...I finally had all of them in my collection. I had read them all, but hadn't owned them all until they finished reprinting the harder-to-find books of the series here in the States. And once I had the complete set of spines staring at me from the bookcase...I decided I needed to try and read them in order for once.

The Discworld Novels can be enjoyed individually, and most people who have read them all didn't read them in order. You don't have to read them in order to get a great story out of them. Two books in particular, in fact, have almost nothing to do with the others (Pyramids and Small Gods).

So I set out to read them all in one year...and started on November 30th. I finished them around 6 this evening and am about to hapilly dive into #30.

During this period, I also read the following:

The 9-11 Commission Report: Omissions And Distortions
A Night In The Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (which I read every October, without fail, and have for years...)
Harry Potter VI (twice, once with Skylar)
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (with Skylar)
Oliver Twist (with Skylar)
Moby Dick (with Skylar)
Island Of The Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore
Fluke by Christopher Moore
and 2, maybe 3 others last winter whose titles escape me at the moment.

The best part is...because The Beloved Kim talked me into waiting to read last year's new Pratchett, Going Postal, until I finished this project...I now have two brand new (to me) novels by my favorite author to read, since Thud! just came out last month.

The sickest part about all of this? I am not even remotely "Pratchetted out". I'm hungry for the two new books, and afterwards, I'm planning on finally reading his mini-series called The Bromelliad...which I bought about a year ago and have never cracked open. And his other mini-series, the Johnny Mawell Trilogy? I have books 1 and 2. By the time I'm ready for it..book 3 should be reptinted, as well. Muhahahaha.

1 Comments:

Blogger swg11871 said...

Dude...

That's incredible. Congrats. HARD. After going on my reading mission of 12 books in one year and finishing with just under 20, I can relate to the joys of literary mindgasm. However, I've been reading mostly Pro Wrestler's Autobiographies this year, so fuck me. :)

08:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home