Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Calling

Okay, fine. So the sleep didn't come. Just a lengthy nap.

I suppose I should comment on my impressions of the big news from Blighty this morning and get it out of my skull.

The truth is, I can't wrap my head around it. If I had been blogging on 9.11.01, chances are good that I wouldn't have managed to say much about it right away.

I woke up earlier than usual to do a morning show that I customarily only ever hear the last two hours of, tops. I was already nervous because of the circumstances that had me in the studio, which are of a personal nature that I'm not posting on the freakin' internet. And the first thing I saw at 0530 on the tube was footage of people being hauled away from the scenes of explosions in London.

I remembered the same feeling of helplessness many of us had on 9-11. For my part, at the time, I was a very recently single parent living with my parents at the age of 31...hardly holding a firm self-opinion about my abilities to provide for The Boy yet. I was already seething with anger and disappointment at the collapse of my marriage, and worse still, I couldn't deal with the woman in question face-to-face because she was a thousand miles away. Then I wake up one morning to find the towers burning, the Pentagon burning, a field in Pennsylvania burning, rumors of truck bombs in DC...total media anarchy.

What a world, I thought. Just in time for it to change all over again. Such is the realization of growing up. Even for those of us who waited too long to do it. The world alters around you. You can deal with it, or you can let it kick your ass like a bully on the schoolyard.

After 9-11, terrorism was the buzzword on everyone's lips. Even if your thoughts lean towards government conspiracy (and to a degree, mine do, expecially about the Pentagon). Then came Bali. And Spain. And a suicide bomber a day in Israel. And then American soldiers were racing across Iraq so they could stand around and get blown up every once in a while.

Yet somehow, as a whole, we found ways to make jokes about the color-coded warning system. We forgot about terrorism...at least a little...because it was happening in other places again. We Americans look out for own like no other, which is why 95% of us can't tell you where Darfur is and why it's important.

But now, our only real buddies (geopolitically, anyway) have been tagged with the spray paint can of mindless hate, directly and in a way a simple whitewash can't cover. On the day following a major celebration of an international trump card and chest thump.

Pissing off Britain. Pissing off America.

It doesn't seem to scare anyone anymore. We're not dealing with the kind of enemy we've faced before. Because the enemy really isn't US. It's a small percentage of one particular religion that suffers a huge stain because extremists pissed in everybody's Wheaties.

But oh-ohhh...The Guns Of Brixton...

2 Comments:

Blogger swg11871 said...

And further, what's really gonna rub my raisins the wrong way is that folks will soon forget the best word you used... EXTREMISTS... and simply fall back into the warm embrace of complacency and continue equating the troubles with Islam and/or folks from the Middle East. Yeah, shame on them for looking different than you. Shame on them for praying to a different - albeit nearly TWIN LIKE - god. Shame on them for wanting to bomb everyone behind and underneath those silly robes and turbans. Yeah. Slow down, Jacks and Jills. Extremists are extremists - REGARDLESS of their color, belief system, values, financial class, etc...etc...anon anon. Realize that you can't spot a Terrorist or an Extremist any better than you can identify the proverbial needle in the proverbial haystack. Proverbially speaking of course. They're everywhere. WE'RE everywhere. In other words. We're all capable of killing, murder, genocide, suicide and simple anarchy whenver, wherever. Wind blows the wrong way and it might just be on my friends. I exaggerate, but how much really? Who's to say that if you insult someone, beat them down physically or verbally... that you're not in some way responsible for turning a seemingly normal member of the flock you run with - or feud with -into a killing machine? Try this, ya'll. Treat everyone equally. Extremists won't ever completely go away. But next time you see a punk on the street, don't ignore, don't hate...appreciate, esse. We're all so different - and yet, because of that...our own individual pursuits of happiness...we're all the same. Don't let's impede anyone's progress by villification or ridicule. You may find yourself on the wrong end of the subway or trolley someday, my friends.

Riot, riot. I wanna riot. Riot, riot. A riot of my own.

22:53  
Blogger Tommie Closson said...

This is an email I recieved this afternoon from Warren Ellis, a writer in England.

So tired my eyes refuse to focus.
Going to be an interesting day's
work. Am now officially on my
second Treo fold-out keyboard,
having finally beaten the first one
to death Wednesday. Thankfully,
Expansys do a next-day service,
so the new one arrived yesterday,
just in time to spend hours banging
out emails assuring people I wasn't
dead.

My American friends have noted
that four bombs have been met
with stark indifference by the
British public, and have asked if this
is some stiff-upper-lip thing. Listen,
Christmas bombing campaigns
used to turn up with the same
regularity as the Queen's speech.
We've done this before, and,
frankly, the IRA were better at it.

This 7/7, 070705 shit is bugging the
fuck out of me. Especially when it's
coming from Americans. It's an
insult to the genuine disaster
suffered in New York, and it goes
against the general feeling here.
This isn't something to be enshrined.
It's something to leave behind. It's
happened before, and it'll happen
again. Don't expect us all to go
insane. Most of us went to the pub.

For those following the details of
the thing: this was a real low-rent
operation. The attacks were on the
most indefensible part of London --
the public transport. The bus bomb
is indicative of small-scale devices
-- London buses are basically tin
and sellotape, and yet most of the
seats on the top deck, where the
bomb went off, were left intact.
There's photography of the upstairs
passengers standing up and looking
at the new hole in the bus. The
pressure wave of the blast blew out
the sides and took the top off --
tin and sellotape meant that the
pressure wasn't contained in the bus,
which probably saved a few lives.
If you want to kill everyone on a
bus, you put the device on the
lower deck, not the top. This was
crap terrorism, using devices they
obviously were not confident of
smuggling into Live 8 or even the
crowds that gathered for the
Olympic win.

Most people are still joking that
it was the work of the French.

Hell, probably so are the French.

20:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home