Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crazy Arctic Guy, Day 60: Almost There

DAY 60: MIKE FEELING BETTER FOR FINAL PUSH TO POLE!!
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 // 23:09

Quote of the Day:
'It's just great to know that I will now be able to appreciate my last day walking not worried with aches and pains, in the company of my dear friend Borge, and enjoy the very special moment once we arrive on the Pole...'

DATA LOG
Latest position : N89°48'39' E87°25'34'
Distance to go: 21kms
Temperature: -22°C
Wind: Westerly 4-5m/s (9-11mph)
Ice drift: Southwards
Days of food left: 8

Mike phoned this evening with very good news: 'I'm feeling better,' he said, sounding very elated. 'I woke up this morning feeling completely lousy and gradually felt better and better throughout the day. All my aches and pains are finally going and I'm getting my appetite back. The antibiotics have finally kicked in. I was a little anxious for a while but now it seems that everything will be alright.'

'We're starting to get excited. It's finally sinking in that we are going to arrive tomorrow. It's been quite a trip! Borge's 42 years old and now looks 80 and I'm 39 and look like 90! (Mike laughs)

We arrived on the North Pole ice today, Borge's keen eye noticed it straight away. There is still some water about but luckily we didn't need to swim. I don't think I could have coped with that today!


The weather forecast was not at all as had been predicted. Today we had westerly winds of 4-5m/s (9-11mph) with a southwards drift and temperatures of -22°C. Tomorrow northeasterly winds of 8m/s (18mph) are predicted. We hope that this prediction will also be wrong.

We have reached N89°48'39' E87°25'34' and are extremely motivated for the final stretch. Tomorrow we'll get to the North Pole while enjoying the light of the midnight sun. There isn't much else to say. It's just great to know that I will now be able to appreciate my last day walking not worried with aches and pains. I will be able to appreciate the last walking day in the company of my dear friend Borge and enjoy the very special moment once we arrive on the Pole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home